COVID-19 is leading to major changes in the landlord and tenant relationship in relation to commercial leases. But how will this affect the courts’ approach to determining renewal lease terms under the Landlord and Tenant Act 1954? Emma Humphreys explores the most likely areas of dispute with Georgina Redsell and Samuel Lear.
James Bradford is joined by Ben Handley, Tax partner at BDO, to discuss current speculation and client reaction in relation to capital taxes. This was recorded before the announcement on 23 September that the autumn Budget would be cancelled / deferred. Topics covered are:
- Current coverage and speculation on CGT and IHT;
- Advising clients against the backdrop of potential change and uncertain times;
- The importance of working with trusted advisors.
Jessie Basra is joined by Employment Partner, Emma Bartlett, and Tax Legal Director, Hugh Gunson, to discuss the key upcoming changes to the off-payroll working rules in April 2021 - commonly known as IR35 – and how to start preparing for these changes now.
Tim Maxwell is joined by Manoj Vaghela to discuss some interesting insights with regards to how business interruption has affected many people, including:
- How we help clients with Business Interruption, and advice with insurance cover
- Event cancellation reimbursements for Landed Estates
- How this has affected the Arts world
- FCA guidance
In this episode we discuss how the retail and food & beverage sectors can reset, restructure and plan for the future. Caroline is joined by two partners from our corporate restructuring team: Roger Elford and Jason Freedman, and founder and CEO of the procurement and cost reductions specialists, Procure4: Nigel Scorey.
Naomi Nettleton, one of our Real Estate partners, is joined by Olivia Crane, an associate in our Commercial team, and Manoj Vaghela, a partner in our Litigation & Dispute Resolution team, to discuss further insights with regards to staging outside events, including:
• Data protection considerations for Landed Estates
• The 'test & trace' programme in relation to events
• Insurance aspects involved with Landed Estates hosting events
• Event cancellation policies
Julie Sharpe, one of our real estate Senior Associates in Cheltenham is joined by Kristina Appleby, an Associate from Savills and Mark Ryan, a manager from Close Brothers. In this podcast, they focus on development finance and discuss:
• How the current crisis has affected the property finance industry
• Changes to lending appetite, asset classes and LTVs
• General market valuation issues
• Market uncertainty clauses
• Areas for opportunity and the legacy left by Covid-19 on valuation and lending
Naomi Nettleton, one of our Real Estate partners is joined by Richard Davies, a senior associate in our Commercial team and Syma Spanjers, a senior associate in our Employment team to discuss further insights with regards to staging outside events, including:
• The importance of event contracts for landed estates
• The consumer law position
• Cancellation elements of events
• Employment protection
• Furlough and flexible furlough
In this podcast we will discuss some of the opportunities and issues about returning to the workplace as well as some wider market predictions and Health & Safety law. Speakers include Sarah Morley & Noel Wardle of Charles Russell Speechlys as well as Kersten Muller, Head of Real Estate at Grant Thornton.